Created in partnership with fellow mama-led brand Not Just– by real-life parents seeking easy veggie-loaded dinners that everyone can enjoy. Grab a bag of Primary Beans Cannellini beans and Not Just Co 10 Veggie Pasta Sauce, and gather the kiddos in the kitchen for a dish that's not only fun to make but fun to eat!
What you’ll need
- 1-lb Primary Beans Cannellini beans cooked according to the Primary Beans Cooking Guide (flavored with onion, garlic, and bay leaf)
- Crusty baguette, sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 16-oz jar Not Just 10 Veggie Pasta Sauce
- ½ to 1 cup fresh basil leaves, divided
- 8-oz ball fresh mozzarella, thinly sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup mini pepperoni (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Red pepper flakes (optional)
Cook beans and set aside. Set the oven to broil with a rack 6 inches from the broiling element. Place sliced bread on a sheet tray, drizzle with olive oil, and broil for about 3-5 minutes until golden brown, monitoring throughout.
The bean liquid should be rich and concentrated. If watery, simmer for 5-15 minutes to concentrate. Reserve ⅓ cup of the liquid, drain the beans, and pour back into the pot. Add pasta sauce, half of the basil leaves, and the reserved bean liquid. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes (if using). Stir to fully incorporate and wilt the basil, and transfer to a casserole dish or large oven safe skillet.
Top with the sliced mozzarella, pepperoni (if using), and a drizzle of olive oil. Place on the prepared rack and broil for about 5 minutes until golden brown and bubbly, monitoring throughout. Carefully remove from the oven, garnish with remaining basil, and serve on toasted bread.