Ali Slagle's swordfish with asparagus & little beans
A summery one-dish meal that you don’t need to overthink.
- White beans
- Soft herbs
- Pour ½ cup olive oil into a liquid measuring cup. Zest and juice 2 lemons into the cup (about 6 tablespoons juice). Add 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes and season to taste with S&P.
- Cut off and discard the skin from 1 ½ pounds (1-inch-thick) swordfish steaks (or mahi-mahi). Pat dry, then cut into 1-inch pieces. Toss with S&P.
- Drain and rinse 2 (15-ounce) cans little white beans. Trim and thinly slice 1 pound asparagus and 1 garlic clove. Pluck ½ cup soft herbs, like mint, dill, basil, parsley, or a combination.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium. Add the beans, asparagus, garlic, and ¼ cup water. Season with S&P and cook until the beans are warm and the asparagus is crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and mix in a couple tablespoons of the lemon dressing. Season to taste with S&P.
- Heat another 2 tablespoons olive oil in the skillet over medium. Add the fish and cook, stirring from time to time, until the fish flakes easily, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the herbs and fish to the beans and stir once. Season with S&P and the lemon dressing. Good warm or at room temp.
Reprinted from I Dream of Dinner. Copyright © 2022 by Alexandra Slagle. Photographs copyright © 2022 by Mark Weinberg. Published by Clarkson Potter, an imprint of Random House. For online, a link to method of purchase is required (e.g. Amazon.com, BarnesandNoble.com, Powells.com, IndieBound.org or any online bookseller of your choice.