Farro and chickpeas with dill-yogurt dressing
This make-ahead salad is summery and bright, with a palate-pleasing range of textures. Hearty without being heavy, it's perfect for picnics and hot and active summer days.
- 1-½ cups uncooked farro
- ~3-½ cups cooked Chickpeas (from ½ lb dried), strained
- 5 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp good olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper
- 1 small bunch dill, tender stems and fronds only, chopped
- 5 oz full-fat Greek yogurt
- ½ large English cucumber, sliced in ½" rounds and quartered
- ½ cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- Lightly dressed greens, for serving (optional)
Cook farro in well-salted water, according to package instructions. Meanwhile, whisk together lemon juice and olive oil with a generous pinch of salt to taste.
Once farro is cooked, drain off any excess water and transfer to a large bowl with the chickpeas. Add half the lemon vinaigrette, stir to coat, and set aside to allow to soak up the flavors as it cools. In a small bowl, stir together the remaining lemon vinaigrette, dill, and yogurt. Add salt and pepper to taste – it should be fresh, salty, and bright.
Once farro and chickpeas are cool, add yogurt-dill dressing, cucumber, and walnuts. Stir until everything is well-coated and evenly combined. Serve chilled or at room temperature, on its own or over lightly dressed greens.