There’s bean some chatter about the bean pâté featured on our “bean-cuterie” board, so we put together a quick and riffable recipe. It’s the recipe you never knew you needed: beans, walnuts, herbs, and spices come together into a savory, thick spread for your next grazing board that'll please vegetarians and omnivores alike. The butter is key– it helps the pâté retain its shape as it chills. Add it to your rotation as you prepare for holiday entertaining.
What you’ll need
- 2-½ cups cooked beans, drained
- ¾ cup walnuts, lightly toasted
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- 1 small garlic clove, peeled
- 3 tbsp mixed herbs such as dill, basil, and/or parsley
- 2 tsp smokey chili such as Diaspora Co's Guntur Sannam or Burlap & Barrel's Smoked Pimentón Paprika
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Crackers or baguette slices for serving
Add all the ingredients to a food processor, and blitz just until blended. Season with salt and pepper. Scrape onto plastic wrap and mold into a log. Wrap and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour. Serve chilled, in slices with crackers or baguette.
We imagine this with…
Cheese, pickles, olives, tinned seafood, fruit– a bean-cuterie board!